Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, !

Post subject: The Settlers Palm tree
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:33 pm 

So I hear that they have chopped down the beautiful Palm Tree at Settlers Beach just to make way for the construction work!
Criminal! Surely they could have found a way to work around it :(

Post subject: Re: The Settlers Palm tree
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:19 pm 

:(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:55 am 

I agree Lesley what a shame!
There were some lovely trees lost by St Peters Bay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:12 am 

Crumbs, are they doing construction work right up to Settlers?

E.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:54 am 

phpC4mhb5AM[1].jpg
phpC4mhb5AM[1].jpg [ 43.75 KiB | Viewed 1816 times ]

I agree Lesley :evil: :evil: some of my favourite afternoons sat having lunch and a beer looking out over the beach there. I can't believe they couldn't have incorporated it into the walkway as a feature. Really sad too that Spago will close there at the end of April 2014 :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:03 am 

Very sorry to hear Spagos at Settlers is closing. Not too fancy food but a great setting for modest but reasonably priced fayre. Does anyone know what is replacing it. I guess construction work outside would affect its business greatly.

E.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:45 am 

The company which owns Sandpiper has bought the Settlers complex so they may have another restaurant there or it could become accommodation, I don't know what their plans are but work begins on the site end of April 2014 so I guess nearer to the time they will announce what their plans are for the site.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:54 pm 

One of Barbados’s most established hotel families look set to extend its reach along the island’s Platinum Coast after adding the Settlers’ Beach villa hotel to its portfolio.

The O’Hara family – who own the Coral Reef Club and The Sandpiper, two of Barbados’s most renowned hotels – took over the running of Settlers’ Beach last summer and a subsequent deal to buy the property is almost completed. Their involvement has brought the hotel back into the family fold as it was originally built by patriarch Budge O’Hara in the 1960s.

The family intend to turn Settlers’ Beach into a 12-unit family villa property, which director Mark O’Hara said would make it the only one of its kind on the island. But this was not the family’s sole reason for buying the property. Its location adjacent to The Sandpiper was a key factor as the O’Haras were keen to control any development so close to one of their properties.

While changes are planned for Settlers’ Beach – including a possible change of name - this is a long-term project and the hotel is not expected to close until 2014/15 and building work is expected to take a year.

Settlers’ Beach remains a favourite West Coast holiday haunt for families and couples, some of whom return year after year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:52 am 

Thank you for that info. We have often considered staying at Settlers, but somehow it always gets knocked into second place on the pecking order. The O'Hara's sound like proper hotel operators and it is good to hear they have the confidence to invest in the property.

We enjoyed excellent service at The Sandpiper, but the sandflies in the sunbathing sand made us retreat to the decking.

E.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:16 am 

Settlers' Beach was always a favorite of mine. When you walk into the lobby area, there is a stairway door to the right which leads to a one bedroom apartment with a small kitchen, located above the lobby.They use to rent that for $147US per night. A great price and location for a business traveler.

I would occasionally have a drink at the beach bar, but always had breakfast at Sandpiper and dinner on occasion.

The Sue article sounds really positive.