Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, !

Post subject: Suggestions for our trip?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:54 am 

Hi all:
I'm new to this site and I'm looking for some information and to open a dialoge about what to see and do while on the island.

We have rented a private villa on the West coast - in Colton Gardens - Speighstown area. We have also rented a van for the duration of our trip.
We have not been to Barbados nor have we done self-catering accomodations.
We're looking forward to buying local produce and fresh fish etc... however we would also like to dine out as well.

So...... I'm looking for suggestions for restaurants, bars, best beaches, take out, local markets, and grocery stores.. you name it.... pretty much any information you have to pass along.

I'm very excited about the trip and even though we have MONTHS till we arrive (march) I'd love to hear your opinions of what NOT to miss.

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for our trip?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:09 am 

Hi,
Speightstown is my favourite town on the island, there is a local fish market, ladies who sell fresh fruit, veg and spices on the roadside, there is Jordans supermarket and for more choice it is worth driving into Holetown (10-15mins) to shop at Super Centre.
Mullins Beach Bar is nice for lunch or dinner, The Orange Street grocer in S'town does nice food either to eat in or take away - snack like foods, they also rent out chairs on the beach beside the store. The Fishermans Pub does local food and there is usually a lot going on there on Weds/Friday evenings. There is also a Cheffette close by where you can get take away food. A 5 minute drive takes you into Moontown where they have a mini Oistens, mainly locals and a few tourists enjoying the music and food. There are a couple of bars in S'town as well. The Fish Pot restaurant is also close by and well worth a visit. Lots of places to eat in Holetown from cheap to very expensive.
A 5 minute drive will take you to Gibbes Beach which is lovely, however there are no beach facilities here. Mullins Beach has a small hut where you can buy drinks and snacks and also rent chairs/umbrellas. Heywoods Beach is close by but there again no beach facilities (unless this has changed).
I am sure others will be along to give your more information.
Happy Holidays!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:35 am 

Thank you Sue, this is exactly the kind of information I was hoping to get! Awesome.
The fish Pot is apparently about a 4 minute walk from the villa we're staying in so it will definately be on the list. Love to hear more about Moontown, do you know what night or nights they have this?

cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:00 pm 

Merton's (in Moontown) is one of my more memorable meals in Barbados. Very casual and very Caribbean.

Here's a review I did a few years ago...not sure why the links aren't working in that post. :(
moontown-barbados-t1378-15.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:28 am 

You could also take a trip to St Nicholas Abbey which is quite close to where you will be staying.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:41 am 

I'd also suggest Lonestar restaurant, only about 10 minutes in the car between S'town and Holetown. I second Sue's suggestion about going to St Nicholas Abbey, we usually combine with a trip to the East Coast and head for lunch after at Atlantis, Tent Bay (next door to Bathsheba). If you go on a Sunday or a Wednesday they do a superb Bajan buffet lunch. The East Coast has some spectacular scenery and the drive from Cherry Tree Hill just after St Nicholas Abbey is really not to be missed.

Sue is correct about Heywoods, there aren't any sunbeds for hire, but it is a lovely beach and snorkelling is very good just off the North end of the beach at Port St Charles where there is a man made breakwater which has lots of fish.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:12 pm 

thanks for the info on Moontown, I'm sure we'll make our way there for dinner at least once.... Also the lunch buffet - at Atlantis. It all sounds good. I'm hoping that I'll get lots of this kind of info - I'm very intersted in out of the way types of things as well.
The guys like to snorkel, the girls LOVE the beach and sun... so places where we can do both of those are very appealing... :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:29 am 

Does anyone know if fresh Mint is readily available? I LOVE mojitos and with the rum being so plentiful I was really hoping to be able to make them... :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:22 pm 

It is something I have never looked for in the Supermarket but I guess it must be as most places do Mojito's, I just looked on line at Supercentre and it lists 'island fresh herbs - mint', I would assume that to be it. If you want one without the hard work yourself Scarlet bar do a mean mojito!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:47 am 

Thanks! I have a great recipe that we really like - AND its only 95 calories... :)
I will of course try them when I'm out and about - Where is the Scarlet Bar?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:16 am 

It is at Paynes Bay

http://www.scarletbarbados.com/

If you go through Paynes Bay heading south you will see a bright red chattel house on your left with Scarlet name on the outside, it is there, there is a sharp left turn just before it into their car park. It is also really nice for food, I would recommend booking as they get very busy. Their arancini balls are delicious!.........also do a rather nice melt in the middle chocolate pudding and their macaroni pie is my favourite. I normally order a really strange concoction made up of my favourite bits and hubby is usually quite jealous lol!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:34 pm 

Thank you! That looks like a great place!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:38 am 

Wow, there are lots of great things to do in Barbados...where does one start!
- If you're staying in Speightstown, take a ride to the North Point, It's quite spectacular to see the Atlantic waves crashing on the cliffs.
- See the East Coast of the island. It's just beautiful and much, much less developed than the West Coast. Stop at the Round House Inn to have lunch and enjoy the view of pretty much the entire East Coast
- visit St Nicholas Abbey where you can even get a personally engraved glass decorative bottle of rum.
- Take a sail on a catamaran along the West Coast
- Parasail
- Jet Ski
- Take a half day tour of the island with a local taxi driver or with Island Safari
- Visit the Banks Brewery (enjoy their beer while you're in BIM too).
- Visit the Mount Gay Distillery and learn about the history and production of rum, plus have a tasting of several different rums they make.
- play golf at Sandy Lane, Royal Westmoreland or Apes Hill (you may need help from your resort to get on these courses)
- Eat some macaroni pie and fried flying fish
- if you want to cook, go to Six Men's Bay, just north of where you're staying, and buy some fresh fish
- buy scones at the bake shop in Speightstown or delicious baked goods from Flindt Patisserie in Holetown
- go to Oistens on a Friday night to enjoy the music and local food prepared right there.
- eat at Merton's
- eat at Lobster Alive
- eat at The Cliff
- eat at Cin Cin by the Sea
- eat at The Lone Star
- eat at Daphne's
- eat at Champers and after dinner, walk around the art gallery displaying paintings of local artists (upstairs from the restaurant)
- eat at the Tuesday buffet at the more casual Sandy Lane restaurant, Bajan Blue
- visit the beach at Bottom Bay
- visit the shops at Limegrove in Holetown, stay for lunch at any of the restaurants there
- check out http://www.barbados.org - lots of good information there.
- there's a museum at the airport with one of the retired BA Concords
- there are horse races and/or cricket matches at certain times of the year
- go to Harbour Lights or the Boatyard for a few drinks and music
- and, of course, just relax on the beach.
- When you get there, look for a publication called Ins and Outs...it's free and will have lots of information along with addresses and telephone numbers.
If I think of anything else, I'll add it later.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:36 am 

WOW... :o
I may not have asked the question, but Bill's answer sure makes me think I need to spend more than the 10 days I was planning on for my trip :!:

enjoy life. :cool: (it's better than the alternative!)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:27 am 

Highscores: 2
Are you sure you remembered everything Bill ? :lol: :lol:
Great info !