Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, !

Post subject: Re: Update on the Holetown Waterfront Improvement Project
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:32 am 

I loved the yellow one Brett, but it was a 2 stroke and it was impossible to get the part it needed, even in the UK .

Having said that, the new one is something else , it is just amazing to sit on, you wait and see :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:10 pm 

I can say from experience that the new red Jetski is quite nice. My wife and I took it out for a ride in April. We might have been one of the first people to have a ride on it. It arrived at the start of the week when we were at Palm Beach Condo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:50 pm 

I think you were the first tdl, after me . I can't wait until August when I can ride it again :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:39 am 

Hi we are going to Mango Bay on 11th July and just found out about the works and the photo's on trip advisor look worrying. No quite what I had in mind when I booked the holiday! Does this mean that we won't be able to use the beach or water sports at all? Your advice would be appreciated please as we have the chance to change hotels.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:15 am 

Mistyblonde, by July, hopefully the Pile Drivers should have finished so the noise will be dimished, however the work is not anticipated to be finished on that stretch until the end of August which is , actually, ahead of time.

I see from the latest review on Trip Advisor, that some guests have requested to be moved, been transferred to Waves hotel, but returned to Mango Bay, because even with the work it is a superior hotel.

Mango Bay guests are at present using the bit beach infront of our condos which is directly next door to the Hotel. Guests are accessing the beach through our garden which at present is fine as we have no guests ( bar one condo) staying at present. -------------------bit cheeky of the Hotel though :roll: They also have the option of being bussed daily to another beach ( Brandons I hear ) complete with food and drinks.

I'm afraid no one , including the hotel, knows what it will be like in July, we are mainly thinking that by August it will be ok, but even then, we (Palm Beach Condos) have only taken a few regular guests who know about and are happy with the situation.

Water sports and swimming have not been affected at all, and the sea is wonderfully calm at the moment, so you have no worry on that front , unless a tropical storm happens to pass by and make the sea rough for a couple of days as can happen at this time of the year.

Isuggest you wait for updates before you ask to change unless you REALLY like the alnernative hotel you are offered.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:02 am 

In case anyone on here missed my post regarding the work on the Holetown Lagoon otherwise known as the smelly creek between Discovery Bay Hotel and Mango Bay, here is the official explanation as to what is being done, and the reasoning behind the Project

They are installing a Fluidiser which according to their notice will do as follows

System Objectives

Reduce stagnation in the Lagoon

Reduce flooding adjacent to and immediately upstream of the Lagoon

Lesson severity of breaches

Remain unobtrusive

Provide flexibility in function.

Background studies

Hydrologic studies: assess flow rates in channel from rainfall, land area. slopes.land use etc

Water quality and sediment samples

Computer modelling of breach and dispersion patterns.

Prototype testing of fluidiser concept.

Conclusions

Regular flushing of salt water into lagoon would be beneficial to water quality.

Regular flushing should lessen severity of breaches and help reduce flooding.

The key is to initiate the breach: larger flood will open the channel to required width.

Important not to restrict the flow so as not to cause any additional flooding

System Concept.

Pump water through perforated pipes under the berm

Start water and sand flowing seaward

Create small opening that is naturally widened by water behind berm.

Manual operation. Upgrade to automated system pending initial tests.

So there you have it I hope you understand it better than I do lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:18 am 

Thank you so much Turfclubgal that has really put my mind at rest. I haven't been to Barbados for about 10 years and we used to stay at the Almond Beach Village but that has closed down now. I have had a very traumatic year and need a good break and did not really want to be living on a building site! Thank you for your quick response it has made me feel much more positive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:25 am 

You are welcome . Out of interest, which hotel have you been offered instead of MB ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:40 am 

They haven't given us any names yet just said we could change if we wanted to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:08 pm 

while staying at an apartment on fitts village beach last week, we took a walk on the beach to the south and met a nice couple who had been moved to Waves, and they were OK with it as they also were given a significant cash refund/rebate to boot...

enjoy life. :cool: (it's better than the alternative!)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:04 am 

So they are going to put in a pump!

I am on the west coast next week so may take a look.

E.

PS I would stick with Mango - it is far better located

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:44 am 

I agree, according to a review on TA several guests have left Mango Bay and gone to Waves, but come back as Mango is infinitely better even with the work.!

I am told that people are not , in general, transferring and that the hotel is doing it's best to keep guests happy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:47 am 

Just back from a quick weeks stay. I went and had a look at the works as promised. Blimey it is a major major upheaval. Taking as read that any stay in Barbados is wonderful and there is plenty else to do, I am afraid I was quite shocked at the beach works in that area, and to be honest if it was me I would consider the Waves option if it were offered and if the works are still ongoing when you arrive.

E.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:25 am 

I am pleased to report that as of the day before yesterday the work directly infront of Mango Bay and us has moved on. The pylons have been cut down, the Barge and heavy machinery has gone and we have an ever returning beach.

I'm sure that now, Mango Bay will be totally safe to stay at and it will be unnessary for anyone to think of changing their hotel. Indeed, throughout the work it seems,that those that did change, returned.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:36 am 

Thanks for the update Turfclubgal it is really good of you to keep us informed and put our worries to rest - something the travel agent haven't been able to do!! Am looking forward to arriving in Barbados on 11th July and if I see you I will definitely buy you a drink.