Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, !

Post subject: Update on the Holetown Waterfront Improvement Project
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:29 pm 

http://barbadoswestcoast.blogspot.com/2 ... oject.html

Post subject: Re: Update on the Holetown Waterfront Improvement Project
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:44 pm 

Thanks for the update Frank :D

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:38 am 

I hope they look after my favourite palm tree at Settler's Beach with their bulldozers :shock: Thanks for the update Frankie :D

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:57 pm 

Uk Tripfan, don't worry, the boardwalk stops at the north end of Settlers just past Turners Point so your Palm Tree ( I know the one ) should be safe. Having said that, the truck drivers are causing havoc driving up and down 1st and 2nd Street, and the Pile Drivers start on the creek between Mang Bay and Discovery in June, so God help guests at MB, Palm Beach has closed it's doors to guests until August / September.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:18 pm 

Turfclubgal wrote:
Uk Tripfan, don't worry, the boardwalk stops at the north end of Settlers just past Turners Point so your Palm Tree ( I know the one ) should be safe. Having said that, the truck drivers are causing havoc driving up and down 1st and 2nd Street, and the Pile Drivers start on the creek between Mang Bay and Discovery in June, so God help guests at MB, Palm Beach has closed it's doors to guests until August / September.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and stumbled across it whilst looking for more information on the waterfront improvement project. Does anyone know the best place to get an accurate update on these works? I'm booked in the Mango Bay from 25 July and am quite concerned about the potential impact on my family's vacation.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:48 pm 

Wolf 66 I have just typed an epic post to you and lost it in cyber space. Where do you live? I could discuss this on the phone if you would like? I am in the UK at the moment, but living next door to Mango Bay, I get daily texts and phone calls updating me regarding the beach restoration.

Briefly, weather permitting, the main work right outside MB should be finished by the time you arrive, but if I could talk to you, I could explain what the main work there entails.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:19 am 

Thanks Turfy I hope so! Will they be sorting the creek out too? That will be good news if they are getting rid of that and stopping the standing water. Maybe they will build a proper gully?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 am 

Hi Uk, yes they are doing something serious to the creek, which ensures that they can control the flow of the water into the sea at intervals, instead of it breaking out when the water builds up in a storm. --------------------and I think it will be piped right out to sea rather than polluting the bay when it bursts.

AS I was trying to tell Wolf, THAT work is scheduled for June, weather permitting, and it SHOULD be finished by the time he goes to Mango Bay. The work will involve Pile Drivers, -------lovely .

At the moment, they are constructing a groin from the Carew House ( ruin) next to us and from that they will lay an underwater false reef out to sea running infront of us and MB. We still have guests until the beginning of June , but apart from one owner, none of the condos have been let until August in case. The guests at Palm Beach are apparently finding the work fascinating and don't seem bothered by it, but I believe the work on the creek will be ultra noisy !! I have to say, that I am watching Mango Bay reviews at the moment and there is only one complaint regarding the current work so far .

They are also building a small Promentary out to sea between Surfside, and the Life Guard Hut. The poor vendors who sit under their tent by Surfside, have been uprooted and on the day the work there started, poor Darcy, the wire man, was sitting infront of a huge pile of sand, surrounded by diggers, looking faintly bemused lol

When the work is totally finished, a massive amount of sand ( already in the Port and waiting) will be deposited as they did infront of the now gone Chefette and Regent. This sand was pretty crude, but fresh sand quickly took over and now that is a super beach, which we hope, we too will have again after all these years of losing our beach periodically. They estimate the full work will be finished in December, but it should be well past us by then , we hope, as we are vitually full for the whole winter.

The trucks etc are using 4 entrances to the beach. Through Folkestone Park, next door to Sandpiper ( where the little house was that they knocked down) down 2nd and 1st Street ( with difficulty ) and between Surside and Tropical Sunset.

I hope that helps everyone, but the real facts are, the work is all dependant on the weather and the state of the sea, which of course, should be totally calm in the Summer, bar passing Tropical Storms. However, this is a massive project as our particular stretch of coastline has been the most problematic part for them to decide what to do, owning to the diverse currents that affect us. That is why the project has taken this long to plan.

THe results however, should be well worth the disruption.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:28 am 

Very interesting update. Thanks, Turfclubgal.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:04 pm 

Yep thank you sounds like it will be a great improvement. Can't wait to have a nosy when we return.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:12 am 

Beach still open - http://barbadoswestcoast.blogspot.com/2 ... bados.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:11 pm 

:lol: My word what a wonderful picture of Turfy's new red pride and joy :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:48 am 

Highscores: 2
You got rid of the yellow one ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:21 am 

It died of old age Bretty, then it had to be destroyed by the Coastguard before they let the new one in, poor thing!!! There is a fixed amount of jetski's allowed in the country .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:51 am 

Highscores: 2
I liked the yellow one, had a good couple of rides on that. Hope the new one is just as good.