Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Possible retiring in Bim
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:33 pm 

I know my pensions and my private Health Care plan at a cost, will follow me to Bim, but how tough is it to retire in Bim :?: :?: :?: 8) 8)

Post subject: Re: Possible retiring in Bim
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:10 pm 

I think it's a great place to visit, even visit often, but I imagine it would be a difficult place to live.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:16 pm 

Why :?:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:27 pm 

Gettting stuff done is a thing that frustrates people, also I imagine that being somewhere as a tourist is different to actually dealing with day to day things. BDS may well be one of the more developed countries in the region but I reckon there would be a big difference in culture in day to day life.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:38 pm 

Dealing with day to day things are no more frustrating ( in fact often less frustrating ) than getting things done in the UK--------------and in general, work etc is much cheaper. The pace of life is slower,and you will find that you slow down with it. However you cannot come and live here happily if you want to keep your "home" mindset and stress levels.
It does help if you have GOOD friends here, but I know many people who have done it, love it, and NEVER looked back. I shall be one of those people in the future. If it's REALLY what you want, then go for it. I miss very, very little in the UK, but then I do not have much family there, and I have REAL friends here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:44 pm 

ps Barbados looks after retired people well . I am a member of BARP ( Barbados Assc for Retired People ------------50 years and over ) and their private Healthcare plan which is very reasonable. Even now I get many discounts on the Island through BARP and there are many other advantages to be had when a person is retired, well before they are 60.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:47 pm 

Thanks Turfclubgal, I agree Canada is the same way when it comss to getting things done, Sandy is the only one with family, but there is always the internet to talk with them, I'm interested in how much paperwork is involved in doing this on the Barbados side

Can anybody join BARP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:54 pm 

I am looking into the Immigration side of things myself, and I am led to believe that you have to be here for 10 months before you can apply for residency. However, I am seeking to find out more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:54 pm 

So there we have it.. Nirvana...a crime free paradise where everything works, everyone is your friend, with perfect weather too. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:05 pm 

Realistic, holidays are holidays....life is real.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:48 pm 

I don't want to poo poo on your parade but, and isn't there always a but, as long as the Canadian dollar is doing well then you are getting a good bang for your buck in Bim. There was a time when I was paying $1.62 for every US dollar. Also before you think about retiring in B'dos maybe you should spend an extended period of time - say 6 months just to see how it goes. Rent a house, rent a car w/insurance, pay utilities, gas, groceries, personal products, i.e. toothpaste $7 bds, mascara $40 bdos. As JtD says vacation is very different from day to day life and it's expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:27 am 

That is sound advice bdos4ever.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:20 am 

Of course I agree with Bds4ever. I already live here 6 months of the year and have a pretty good idea of how things work------------I would say it is essential to do that before embarking on a permanent move. Also, next time you visit Will, you might like to think about opening a bank acct here, so you can transfer money over as and when the rate is good. --------------- Of course, any money to be used for the purchase of a house, must be registered through Central Bank before it reaches your account, but general "spending money" can be transferred direct to your account.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:30 am 

$1.62 for every USD, I remember the Canadian dollar being low but not that low, when was that :?: not in the past 20 years :shock: , toothpaste $7 bds = $3.50 Canadaian thats what we pay here, I have checked prices on certain things we purchase and it's not bad,

"Realistic, holidays are holidays....life is real." JTD I don't know what's with your attitude, but I asked the question for research purpose only, I wanted to know what the hassle would be on the Bim side and yes JTD I know the difference between life and vacation

Thanks Turfclubgal let me know when you find out more

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:04 pm 

Highscores: 2
Will..I am sure wherever you decide to retire you will have researched it thoroughly and with your government connections the job will be facilitated somewhat. Don't totally abandon the old homefront...come back and visit the old sod esp in january just so you will know what you are missing. :lol: