Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: reviews of accommodations???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:36 am 

I'm not sure this is an appropriate activity for this forum so I am asking first before posting my detailed questions...

I have done some initial research in planning for an upcoming trip to Barbados and am having a hard time discerning objective as well as subjective information about some of the places I am considering staying. I have sent a few private messages but thought it might be OK to go public with my targets...

Most... well no actually, all of them are small cottages/villas. Most are west coast though a few might be considered south coast. I would like to submit posts with links to their websites and let everyone who has any knowledge of them pitch in with comments.
What do you all think?
Should I make it one post or a series of posts so each place has their own thread?

(And yes, I have done a thorough search of the forum, so these will likely be about places not discussed in detail...)

thanks.

michael

Post subject: Re: reviews of accommodations???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:08 am 

Hi Michael,

One post would be fine but I'm sure if you prefer to do a series of posts that would be good too!
Hopefully we may be able to help you find your perfect place.

Sue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:57 am 

No restriction on here, say what you like, we have no ties to Travel agents, totally independent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:58 pm 

OK, I'll list the places I have been looking at and anyone can pitch in with their own experiences or comments, whether about the rental or the specific area in which it is located. (Also feel free to add any similar places I might have overlooked!)
I'd suggested editing the quoted part to leave just the place(s) for which you have comments.
THANKS in advance!

in no particular order...

Chattel Jentillia, Mullins Bay
Little Seascape, Gibbs Bay
Seaspray, Half Moon Fort
James Bay Beach Pavillion (also listed here), Fitts Village
Bibian's Beach House, Fitts Village
Alverton Cottage, Fitt's Village
Villa #5 Feshwater Bay
Annabelle's Cottage, Payne's Bay
Seashore, Payne's Bay
Bajan Beach Cottage, Carlisle Bay, near Garrison
Goodwyn Beach House, Welches Beach
White Coconut Studio, Silver Sands
House Sunrise, Silver Sands
Inchcape House Seaside, Silver Sands

mahalo,
michael

ps: open the attached zipped Google Earth file to see locations for these rentals...
Attachment:
File comment: contains Google Earth places map for all of the above rentals. (some locations are guesses)
Barbados.zip [3.04 KiB]
Downloaded 88 times

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:00 pm 

Hi Michael,
The only one from your list that I've stayed at is Jentilla and we liked it so much we've booked it again. You can read about our stay there under the "Trip Reports" section here on the forum. (It's not as long as it seems - there are a few pictures :lol: )
Part 1 http://bbtravel.freeforums.org/suew-trip-report-nov-24-dec-12-2010-t4362.html
Part 2 http://bbtravel.freeforums.org/suew-trip-report-nov-24-dec-12-2010-part-two-t4363.html
Part 3 http://bbtravel.freeforums.org/suew-trip-report-nov-24-dec-12-2010-part-three-t4364.html
Hope that helps.
Sue :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:55 pm 

@Sue - Incredible report! A three-parter and yet very easy to read. Great details. Also glad to read glowing notes about Jentillia. (What's up with the bowl of ice & Mt Gay Silver? What mixer do you suggest?)

Seems like now you've set the new standard for trip reports! :wink:

mahalo, michael

enjoy life. :cool: (it's better than the alternative!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:23 am 

Sorry I can't be of much help to you Michael, the only 2 I know are Jentillia which Suew has reviewed. The other one is Sea Spray at Half Moon Fort (Moontown). It is a lovely apartment very close to the Fish Pot restaurant. You would almost definitely need a car if you were to stay up here, on a Friday there is a local fish fry just a few minutes further on than the apartment. The beaches here are lovely, a lot of the local fisherman live in this area and they will sure be able to tell you a few tales like 'the one that got away'. There is a supermarket close by and a couple of rum shops and 'Brady's Bar'.
I have walked by Annabelle's cottage on Paynes Bay and it does look lovely and in a lovely spot.
I checked it out on www.stayingwithus.com

Hopefully some of the other members will be able to advise you futher.

Sue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:28 pm 

( :oops: another Sue— who knew?)

Thanks for the words on Annabelle's (and the link to stayingwithus.com was very helpful! I found several of the others there as well and with the video tours and maps it provided a lot more info.)
Seaspray seems nice but I think I like the Paynes Bay (and Mullins/Gibbs Bays) better so far... Though it looks like Paynes may be more "popular"...

I'll likely hire a car as we like the flexibility and freedom that offers. Wrong side of the road driving bothers me not; if I can survive Charlotte Amalie I bet I can drive anywhere! (Though I have not tried right hand drive vehicles yet.)

mahalo,
michael

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:32 pm 

Hi Michael, we have been visiting Bim for years and have stayed in many apartments/villas. Hotels do not appeal to us as we are free spirits :lol: . Jentillia is easily our favourite place to stay, it appeals to us because it has old chattel house charm but also all the mod cons, the interior is quite large and airy, spotlessly clean and in immaculate order.
The beach is quite narrow but very pretty which gives it a more intimate private feel, for us this is a real bonus, you won’t see too many tourists on this small stretch but the local residents are friendly. The reef comes right inshore just in front of the villa and turtles can often be seen grazing on the rocks in the evening, but if you walk just a few yards there is a good sandy access directly in front of 'The Great House', the snorkelling here is the best on the island in my opinion but remember to stay safe and use a marker buoy if you venture further out! The sea is generally calm here but I would advise asking the locals for advise on sea conditions, strong currents etc., you will find them very happy to assist. Walking is restricted now due to coastal erosion at high tide but otherwise good in both directions if you don’t mind a little scrambling over rocks here and there, just a few yards to the South is the famous Mullins beach with beach bar and restaurant.
Speightstown is about 10 minutes walk North from the villa where you will find a supermarket, various shops and fresh fruit and veg stalls etc.
We usually go in November (end of the rainy season) and have always had good weather; the only months I prefer to avoid are Aug/Sept.
I have not stayed at any of your other choices but Gibbes beach is beautiful and there are villas available to rent which I am sure someone will advise on.
Photo's attached....
Reception:
Bathroom with jaccuzzi and a great view:
Jentillia beach side:
Garden with direct access to the beach:
The beach:

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:29 pm 

Charlotte Amalie ....now that was a busy place when we were there this year!!
As I said or tried to say in a post that disappeared, there are two distinct holiday types in Bds, busy & lively.. or ...not. Viv's pics show the sort of thing we like....that desert island feel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:49 pm 

Highscores: 2
Hi Michael - welcome to the forum! As has been mentioned, pretty much anything goes here :wink: have you popped into chat yet?
I haven't stayed at any of the properties you mention, but have gone by Goodwyn at Welches many a time and thought it looked lovely, right on a nice little bit of beach, the only thing is that it's on the main road, so may be a bit of traffic noise, and not sure it would be a good idea with little ones (not sure if you're taking little ones or not!). Silver Sands is a little out of the way so you may need to hire a car if you stay there.

Another option that you didn't list, is the Maresol complex, there's a number of apartments there and it's right in St Lawrence Gap so no car needed, a couple of them overlook the beach. I stayed there last year and going back next week - they're very reasonably priced and I love them!

Hope you find what you're looking for - and come back here even when you have :grin:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:59 pm 

@Viv - super photos! those and your comments really give me a great feel for Jentillia and the area. It is definitely near the top of my list! still looking into lots of others like gibbs bay and paynes bay areas, and some south shore spots...

@hohnthed0g - a lot of st. thomas is busy, and even more so when lots of cruise ships are in port! in general, it's not my favorite, but we go often since good friends rent us a lovely condo on sapphire bay, probably the nicest cove on the island (where you don't have to pay to park). and it's a great jumping off spot for outings to st. john. and it's cheap, for us. :wink: my wife and I also have found many places we like and they are often more "deserted", places that offer quiet and escape from the crowds. (I like to decide when and where we mix it with the crowds and partiers, just please not on our back porch!)

@LittleMissRed - would like to try the chat but dumb bad luck so far, no one has been on at the same time...
car hire and driving not a problem we usually do that anyway unless we are captives at an AIO (which means only once and never again!)
and no kids. our daughters are in or graduated college. once in a while we have them along but this trip will be just us! :wink:
about traffic noises... I imagine a lot of the places I found would have that issue, but we live on a busy road now and get used to car/truck noises. also once the rum kicks in I doubt we'd notice! :lol:
Goodwyn looks appealing a long with a few others I recently discovered along that southern coast. But I am guessing the sea conditions for safe swimming would be much more variable. I fly sport kites, but unfortunately never got the hang of surfing, so it's swimming and dry flying for me.
I just looked at Marisol... interesting and actually appealing to my wife... the area at the apartments looks quiet, but it also looks like a busier beach, tho it might just be the photos they show. a different beach feel than Mullins! I might have to split my time, part on the south and part on the west!

thanks again for all the comments!

Anyone want to take a stab at doing a compare/contrast for these south shore locations versus the west shore spots? (and without being overly simplistic because I bet you can find crazy busy on the west shore as well as peace and quietude on the south shore, right?)
Since the beaches are wider and there seem to be more big resorts, do they get more crowded along the south than the narrower west coast beaches?
Are the seas more inclined to be rougher on the south, regardless of weather?
Are winds so prevalent that it never really gets too humid on the south? Conversley, is it common to have still and humid air on the west since winds typically are from the east?
:?
please feel free to correct my misassumptions!

mahalo,
michael

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:31 pm 

Bibians :

Just a bit of information for you about Bibian's in Fitts Village.
It is situated a couple of houses along (South) from the Crystal Cove hotel. The house is one of two on the same plot of land, the other is called Fidji (which is on the road side, and not half as nice). They are owned by the same family. Who by the way are local and are lovely people.
Bibians is a lovely Chattel house with alot of character and has the most perfect deck which we used more than the inside of the house!
You have a nice stretch of beach which directly outside your back door feels like your own private beach at times. You cannot walk directly into the sea as there is alot of coral. You walk 2 mins to the left and can enter quite easily into lovely calm water. There is also an area by Crystal Cove which is good for swimming and spotting turtles. There is a small family of monkeys that live in the trees surrounding the property.
Fitts Village has a very local feel with Jordans supermarket and only one restaurant Il Tempio. We found that we preferred to have a car when we stayed here although the buses stop just along the road.
The house is very well equipped but is not IMO luxurious. It has tons of Bajan character which I loved and preferred!
I stayed at Bibians for a month last April and also in 2008.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:56 pm 

Looks a very pleasant place, dead quiet at Fitts I think.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:49 pm 

@Babiface - Fantastic info on Bibian's... and the photos prove the back deck is a great place to spend time when off the beach! (Do they have a grill?)
We don't need luxury. In fact we tend to prefer more a homey local character wherever we stay. All we need is clean, well-maintained and comfortable accommodations.... on a perfect beach!
Thanks for the comments. Bibian's is running strong on our list!

Did you notice much noise/activity from the Crystal Cove? (Meaning obtrusive stuff; we know there are going to be people there. :) )
How far can you walk along the beach from there (in either direction)? I don't mind clambering over some rocks or wading in the sea but it's nice to be able to go a ways other than high tide.

mahalo,
michael