Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Lionfish Found Here
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:50 am 

Wed, December 14, 2011 - 12:05 AM

AFTER years of speculation, the dangerous and invasive lionfish has finally been caught in Barbados.

The MIDWEEK NATION was recently informed that three weeks ago a spear diver caught the pretty but predatory fish on the West Coast, just off Porters, St James.

The fish was placed on ice and handed over to officials at the Coastal Zone Management Unit (CZMU) before being taken to the Fisheries Division.

Fisherman Chelston Thomas expressed concern that up to this day the public had not been alerted about the catch, even though the Fisheries Division had promised “to inform the public when the fish had reached our waters and the steps to take to control them”, he said. (MB)

From http://www.nationnews.com/articles/view/lionfish-here/

Post subject: Re: Lionfish Found Here
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:52 am 

After hearing about uktripfan's experience I Googled Lionfish and Barbados and came across this story. What a horrible experience for you uk. :(

There is also a facebook page on the topic
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lionfish- ... l&filter=2
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lionfish-Barbados-hotline-246-824-8361/252570021471424?sk=wall&filter=2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:32 am 

Sounds awful poor Emma!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:56 am 

Thanks Sue and Suew. It wasn't pleasant I must admit, the pain was the worst I have ever experienced and I didn't know what to do with myself. I have to say how fabulous Sandy Crest medical centre are though. They immersed my foot straight away in hot water as hot as you can stand which kills the effect of the toxins and put me on a morphine drip which helped the pain. It happened on Sunday the day before we were due to fly and is still swelled up but is much better than it was. This was on Heywoods beach at Port St Charles, really didn't expect anything like that to happen there but the doctor implied it was quite common on the West Coast and they knew immediately from the symptoms what had happened. A girl on reception at PSC said it had also happened to her. Pool for me for a while :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:14 pm 

I know in Cozumel they have organized an annual " Lion Hunt " for underwater spear fishing to try to clear out as many as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:16 pm 

:shock: That sounds like a horrible experience Emma, were you close to the beach? The last time we were in Bim we went out in Mullins bay in a small boat with a friend who is a local fisherman, he taught us how to fish with a hand line over the side, we caught several lion fish, they are nasty vicious things...our friend was very nervous of them :lol: We have occasionally seen them when we have been snorkeling too!

[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 pm 

:o Sorry to hear about your ordeal Emma.
Did you tread on the Lionfish? Must admit I have never seen one of those and I hope I never do! Is it just certain times of year that they are there?
Hope you are feeling better.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:30 pm 

Hi Viv I was about chest high in the water, just heading out of the ocean, I did stand on it. Now I have looked at a pic I realise I have seen one before when snorkelling at PSC over the breakwater. They actually look really beautiful with all the tenticles but you'd be in trouble if you got stung a way from the shore I would imagine. I'm not surprised your friend is nervous of them lol :lol: He probably knows the pain they can inflict :evil: Thanks Lesley it is getting much better, the doctor told me it can take up to a month to get full feeling back and feel normal again but the swelling is at least loads better and my foot is nearly back to usual size. Don't think my high heels will be making an appearance in the next few days :cry: As far as I know I don't think it is a seasonal thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:49 pm 

Oh dear Em,
Sorry to hear of your experience :shock: and to think I am scared of tiddlers :lol: Seriously though, it must have been very scary, glad you survived and managed to get home ok.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:13 am 

Highscores: 2
The Lion fish is originally from the Indo-Pacific waters but according to experts when Hurricane Andrew destroyed an Aquarium in Southern Florida a few of them escaped into the Atlantic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:34 am 

Oh Emma you poor thing :sad:
Sounds awful, glad to hear you're on the mend though!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:01 am 

Thanks June and Lois, well my foot was fine over Christmas, I thought I was through the worst then Boxing Day night started getting red and swelled up again and really itching, just had to go back to the doctors today and am now on strong antobiotics and antihistamines. They also sent me for an X-ray to see if anything is still in my toe but they aren't sure if it will show up even if it is. Nasty little blighter has a lot to answer for :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 am 

What a horrible experience, and sorry to hear that your foot is acting up again.
Hope it gets better soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:39 am 

Poor you Em - hope the antibiotics start to kick in soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:08 pm 

I'm sorry to hear that your foot flared-up again Emma, but they say the itching means it's healing. I'm sure 2012 will be a great year for you! :D