Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Barbados to remove Queen Elizabeth II
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:38 am 

Barbados to remove Queen Elizabeth II as titular head of state

Barbados plans to remove Queen Elizabeth II as titular head of state and replace her with a ceremonial president from the Caribbean island, a former British territory once known as “Little England” for its colonial trappings.

Prime Minister Freundel Stuart announced that the plan is to make Barbados a republic by November, 2016, when the island of roughly 300,000 people celebrates its 50th anniversary of independence. He said it makes no sense to keep the monarch as the head of state of an otherwise independent country.
“It’s a little awkward in the year 2015 to still have to stand up and instead of pledging allegiance to Barbados to be pledging allegiance to ‘Her Majesty the Queen,’ ” Stuart said during a late Sunday meeting of his ruling Democratic Labour Party.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said Monday that “it is a matter for the government and people of Barbados.” British Prime Minister David Cameron’s spokesman said he expected the approach in Barbados to be “consistent with self-determination.”

The republican debate has raged for years in Barbados between older islanders who see the queen as a symbol of stability, and mostly younger nationalists who call her an anachronism. It echoes similar debates in many countries that once were part of the British empire and retained the queen as their head of state after independence.

In the Caribbean, former British colonies including Dominica and Trinidad and Tobago have established republican forms of government.

But others such as Barbados and Jamaica have not replaced the queen with another head of state even though their officials have called for the tie to be severed.

Upon taking power in early 2012, Jamaica Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller said the queen was a “lovely lady” but insisted her country must remove the monarch as head of state, in part because of slavery’s legacy. But nothing has changed since Simpson Miller made that statement.

In Barbados, historian Trevor Marshall welcomed Stuart’s announcement, arguing there is “nothing to be gained by remaining as a dominion.”

Despite the change, Barbados would remain in the Commonwealth grouping of former British colonies, according to Stuart.

Barbados needs a two-thirds majority in Parliament to authorize the constitutional change. Stuart’s government currently has that majority in the Senate, but not in the lower house. Opposition leader Mia Mottley did not immediately comment on Stuart’s plans.

Barbados was among the few islands settled in 1605 by Britons who imported slaves from Africa. While other Caribbean islands were swapped as war booty among Spanish, British, Dutch and French colonizers, Barbados remained British during the colonial years.

But in a sign of changing times, Barbados adopted the Caribbean Court of Justice as its final court of appeal in 2005, dumping the London-based Privy Council that long served as the court of last resort for many former colonies.

From http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... sf_globefb

Post subject: Re: Barbados to remove Queen Elizabeth II
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:40 am 

I think the monarchy is a bit of fun, and generally a good thing.

I expect Sir Gary Sobers enjoys being Sir Gary Sobers.

I suspect that the main product of Barbados is tourism and if republicanism assists that then go for it. I don't see how it does myself, although I don't think the Queen has visited for years.

E.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:34 pm 

She hasn't been for 25 years. Last royal to visit was Harry and that was 5 years ago. Apparently Air Miles Andy visits regularly staying at the home of car sales millionaire Kyffin Simpson overlooking Crane Beach. The house was supposedly at one time being built for Prince Andrew but it fell through when he split from Fergie.
There is no reason in this modern world why the Queen remains as Head of State ( goes for Canada too!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:35 am 

Hi Dunnedg,

Presumably someone has seen a reason as it has been going on for some time now. I guess opinions are split. My own view is that someone needs to open fetes and give out the gongs and royalty is as good an option as any. However no visits in 25 years seems a bit disrespectful I agree.

E.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:24 pm 

Over the years, the influence of England on Barbados is more than significant. Its impacted their infrastructure, tourism, lifestyle, architecture and much more.

England’s influence is so inbred that it will remain in place for years to come in Barbados. Oh, I forgot one additional influence that England bestowed on Barbados and that’s the law regarding driving on the wrong side of the road…lol!!

Actually, Princess Anne was on the island in 2011 and Prince Edward in 2012 and 2014. As I recall, Prince Edward has been on the island numerous times.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:52 pm 

As a proud Monarchist I hope Queen Elizabeth 11 remains head of state of Barbados. She makes me feel proud to be British, long may she reign over us.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:50 am 

We have nothing to be proud of re our colonial history.
I am Scottish and have no issue in having the Queen as our Head of State. She visits regularly, has an official residence in Scotland and holidays for a month not 40 miles from where I stay. That said I think it is only a matter of time before the UK becomes a republic. William will probably be the last Royal in power.
But what has she or her family done for Barbados?
I am afraid there are too many "hangers on". The Princess Royal works very hard and made a great decision that neither of her children would have titles. They just get on with their life and work.
As for Andrew and his lazy Princess daughters!
Barbados has been independent for almost 50 years and must be allowed to make its own decision. Don't think it will be long before Australia does the same.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:47 am 

Good to hear you will tolerate HM as Head of State in Scotland dunnedg. The alternative Wee Eck doesn't look too attractive to me!

E.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:33 am 

Didn't say tolerate Erronay. Said - no issue. Eck (not that wee) who is currently my MSP and about to be my MP also agreed that when Scotland gets independence, the Queen would remain as Head of State (at least for a short period). After all QE2 is descended from a Scottish King.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:50 pm 

When Scotland gets independence? Didn't they just vote against it?
It would seem that the majority of Bajans want Queen Elizabeth 11 to remain.
As far as I am concerned if any country wants rid of her then get on with it, I am sure in my life time we will have a royal family.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:46 pm 

Highscores: 1
Personally I think the Romans had the best idea with the Scots, build a bloody great wall to keep them out. :evil: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:04 am 

Yes the population of Scotland recently marginally voted against independence however I do believe it is only a matter of time until Scotland does become an independent nation again. Probably not in my life time, and that is the same with the Royal's being head of state.
SNP run the Scottish government and within 4 weeks looks like SNP will hold at least 2 thirds of Scottish MP's in UK parliament.
UKML, thankfully for the world, a wall didn't keep us from travelling.
Scots invented/discovered - Telephone, television, radar, steam engine, tar macadam, pneumatic tyres, Bank of England, penicillin, general anaesthetic, Ultrasound/MRI scanners etc,etc,etc,etc,etc and of course Golf!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:28 am 

Here's just a thought. Almost everyone I know is who from Scotland is against Scottish Independence, but feel it is probably best to keep that quiet. It may well be therefore that the actual result is not what the SNP and dunnedg are expecting from the polls.

We will see.

E.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:20 am 

I didn't say at anytime I supported independence Erronay?
"almost everyone from Scotland is against Independence". 1.6m 'residents' voted for independence in the referendum that's the fact but.
Not sure how we got on t this subject anyway?
This started as a discussion about the Queen being head of state of the Independent nation of Barbados.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:37 pm 

Civil debate is always enjoyable, even sprinkled with a little humor.

There were times on this forum, when a difference of opinion could turn into a nasty scene. In fact, the last one led to some members just not participating anymore.

That said, I know from time to time, a thread is created to discuss and hopefully encourage renewed activity by our membership. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to help.

Although I’m not into Facebook, clearly it seems to be the new way to communicate these days.

I don’t know the last time we welcomed a new member.

I do miss the activity here though. Over the years we’ve created 5915 Topics to include 38,318 Posts. Of course, our posting leader is that great Canadian, Sue W., with well over 10% of those posts.

In honor of Sue, let’s all stand and sing the Canadian National Anthem.

Ready, all together now;

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.