Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Sandals - Whats your thoughts?
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:48 pm 

There is a lively debate on Trip Advisor about Sandals. The issue is that the visitors don't seem to get out and about and see the Island.
What's your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Sandals - Whats your thoughts?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:52 am 

Personally I think it is nothing to do with anyone else what one person wants to do on their holiday, we all enjoy different things and rightly so. If I wanted to sample some culture then there are many more places in Europe I would find interesting. Barbados to us is purely a winter sun holiday on an island we both love.
There seems genuine animosity towards Sandals which I believe is wrong. Sandals, whether subsidised or not, have brought much needed employment to the island and from the minute any one of us sets foot on that aircraft, whether going AI or SC we are bringing income into the country.
It is probably something we will all never agree on but I enjoy our AI holidays at Sugar Cane Club, I also love to go out and eat at different places.
One poster in particular seems to have a chip on his shoulder regarding visitors, I think he likes de rum!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:06 am 

Hi Sue and dd,

I agree pretty much with Sue. However I think forums can be places to tip people off about things they may not have been expecting, which may sometimes be useful or just provide a shared experience.

My tips are about Sandals (from 1 visit to St Lucia I admit) are:-

It is adult couples only (Great!) with a slight tendancy towards a reletively younger clientele.
It provides better quality and customer service than other AI I have experienced in the Caribbean.
Many other guests are Sandals Regulars
They generally choose good sites and have guards on the beach.
Despite being AI they do try hard to upsell you better meals, drinks or rooms sometimes on the subtefuge that your standard room isn't available.
Some things advertised as free actually aren't, like golf where a caddy is mandatory.
It is a bit like Butlins in that you are encouraged to take part in organised games and activities in order to win "House Points" and a pair of minature plastic sandals you can wear around you neck - and people do wear them with pride!
They operate a strong concierge and Butler system which you may or may not be comfortable with.

Like all things though, we very much enjoyed finding that out for ourselves. We would return if a great offer came up, but wouldn't seek Sandals out. Certainly in Barbados we prefer the West Coast to St Lawrence Gap, but again enjoyed discovering that ourselves.

E.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:04 pm 

I too echo Sue's comments.

I'm not likely to stay at Sandals but I think having them in Barbados is an asset. I know they advertised heavily in Canada this past winter...creating awareness for Sandals, but also for Barbados.

Sure - lots of people will visit it and never leave the resort. But others will...and who knows, perhaps they'll return one day and opt to stay elsewhere. Either way, they go home and tell friends/family about how wonderful Barbados is. There is no greater form of advertising than a referral from someone you know.

The one thing I noticed this year (Feb 2015) was that customer service in restaurants had improved tenfold compared to previous years in The Gap. Sandals has raised the bar, which is a good thing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:59 am 

Don’t know if there is a problem with the server but have tried to add to this for a few days but the site kept on shutting down?
I really just started this thread to see if we could get the forum moving again. As far as Sandals is concerned I am ambivalent but it has built up a real arguments on TA.
Some of the displeasure is because of the special deal that Sandals has been given by the Barbados Government such as apparently allowing them to import Jamaican rum with no duty. Whilst Banks/Mount Gay is available it has to be asked for and whilst there are numerable restaurants none provide Bajan/Caribbean food
Most posters don’t like AI in general but in particular the type of guests that it attracts. It doesn’t do it for me (although I would never turn down a free holiday in Sandals if offered). Those who post on TA seemed more interested in ticking off Sandals Resorts than experiencing the islands they are visiting which has enraged the regulars. They do indeed seem to be a single interest group – but that is because they know nothing about Barbados so they don’t have any other advice to offer on TA.
They pay their money so they are entitled to have the holiday they want.
For me however if I wanted to go on holiday and not leave the resort, I wouldn’t take a 9 hour flight to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:54 am 

I would be surprised if Sandals guests didn't leave the resorts on trips and to visit other restaurants in similar proportion to other AI guests. They probably book them through the Butlers and Concierges.

I too cannot get too excercised about where one hotel buys its rum, so never read the TA stuff on Sandals, particularly when there are over 500 posts!

Re: 9 hour flight, unfortunately I find I need to fly that far to get good weather. The Canaries doesn't appeal for similar reasons to Sandals.

E.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:58 pm 

No doubt some do leave the Sandals but from reading the numerous posts , not many.
Personally I think it is important what a hotel provides in their bars. Mount Gay is the oldest rum in the world and something that Barbados is rightly proud of. To have Jamaican rum and beer first on offer in Barbados is in my opinion a disgrace.
Can you imagine visiting a hotel in Scotland and the main whisky on offer in the bar being Irish?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:06 am 

Hi d,

It depends on your definition of important.

I like a pint of London Pride, but if a pub only had 60 shilling, well I would drink that!

E.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:08 am 

I don’t really have a position on the Sandals question other than to say, not serving Mt. Gay Rum as their front line Rum is egregious, in my opinion. It’s an incredible rum!

Each time I visit my favorite restaurant bar here in Richmond, VA US and have my usual Dewar’s, water with a twist and when the barkeep brings the tab, he always brings me a small portion of Mt. Gay Rum Extra Old in a tulip glass, courtesy of the house.

As an aside, much praise to Scotland for making the very best blended scotch in the world. I’ve been drinking Dewar’s White Label Scotch since my mother weaned me off breast feeding.

I googled Dewars and am adding a short history below.

History

The Dewar's whisky brand was created by John Dewar, Sr. in 1846. Under the control of his two sons, John A. Dewar Jr. and Thomas "Tommy" Dewar, the brand expanded to become a global market leader by 1896. Tommy became famous as the author of a travel journal, Ramble Round the Globe, which documented his travels while publicizing the Dewar name. Dewar's eventually expanded their product by constructing the Aberfeldy Distillery in 1896.

The company joined Distillers Company in 1925. Distillers was acquired by Guinness in 1986, and Guinness merged with Grand Metropolitan to form Diageo in 1997. Diageo sold Dewar's to Bacardi the next year.

In 1987, numerous cases of still perfect Dewar's Scotch were recovered by underwater archaeologist E. Lee Spence from the shipwreck of the SS Regina, which had been sunk in Lake Huron in 1913.[1]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:10 pm 

I have to agree that Dewars is a great blended grain whisky and one of the few good ones we export. We normally keep the best ones for own consumption!
Personally I'm a malt whisky drinker with a small splash of water.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:30 am 

I'll be honest. I have had to look up egregious. It either means exceedingly good or exceedingly bad so I am none the wiser!

Scotch, I always ask for Laphroig and comment that it is very peaty. People then leave me alone and assume I know what I am talking about, which of course I don't.

I have never met anyone in the UK who orders straight rum as a drink of choice and wonder if many Sandals guests do. I doubt you can tell the difference in a fruit punch!

E.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:24 am 

The current situation on TA is enough to put anyone off going to Barbados let alone staying at Sandals.
The aggression shown by some posters against AI is unbelievable!
I could give a toss what kind of holidays people have so why should others feel a need to dictate that AI are not needed in Barbados?.
My brother is at present on a walking holiday in the Hebrides - I think he's mad, he thinks I am mad going to Barbados never
mind AI!!!!!!!!!!

How many pages were there on the fluidizer?

Jerry I think Jack agrees with you re the Dewars....lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:39 am 

On the positive side all these Sandals visitors seem to be new to the TA Barbados Forum and probably the Island itself as well.

I just think someone needs to whisper in their ear - Guys, if you are going to Barbados the West Coast is the place to be!

E.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:44 pm 

Erronay- I've always used the word egregious in the negative as I thought was applied in my comment about Mt. Gay Rum not being their front line rum at Sandals.

But thanks for the update on the word having opposite meanings.

I very much enjoy Mt. Gay Extra Old neat, but I’m sure most prefer a mixer. I would think that most aged spirits are ordered neat with maybe a water back or just on the rocks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:59 pm 

Erronay wrote:
On the positive side all these Sandals visitors seem to be new to the TA Barbados Forum and probably the Island itself as well.

I just think someone needs to whisper in their ear - Guys, if you are going to Barbados the West Coast is the place to be!

E.

lol Oh no Erronay....don't open that flood gate please! The West Coast vs South Coast debate makes the Sandals squabble seem like an intelligent conversation! :lol: