Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Suggestions please!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:38 pm 

Hi all, I'm new here, off to Barbados for the first time on Christmas Eve this year, staying until New Year's Day. We have deliberately chosen not to go all -inclusive as we wanted to eat in different places, experience the island ourselves. Can I pick your brains please for eating places - we are staying at the Amaryllis Beach, and have booked our Christmas lunch there, so that's one meal sorted!

Also, any suggestions for trips, excursions etc would be great too...

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Suggestions please!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:32 pm 

Highscores: 2
Hi Caroline, welcome to the forum - you've made a great choice in choosing Barbados :wink:

There's loads of places to eat - for all budgets, some of the favourite expensive ones are places like The Cliff, Tides, Champers, but don't rule out the roadside vans and little huts that are all over the place as they do excellent local food. Oistins fish fry on a Friday night is a good experience, cheap food, music and chilling out.

If you fancy a night out, there are some good nights in the Gap, Strategy perform every Thursday in the Ship Inn and are very very good!

Tons of excursions, depends on what you like doing really, the 4x4 Land Rover safari is always popular, the Atlantis Submarine, Mount Gay rum tour, St Nicholas Abbey, ziplining. My friend and I sometimes do a "magical mystery tour" and just get on the first bus we see, then get off somewhere....

If you have a chance, pop into the chat section here and join in the fun!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:53 pm 

Thanks! I'm so excited now, everyone I've spoken to about it who's been says that I will love it - including the lady who served me at M & S on Friday!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:16 pm 

A generalisation, but BDS has basically three areas.. South, West & East all really different, South- fun loving & lively more budget hotels & eateries, lots of nightlife until early hours, wider beaches with waves, West- more low key nightlife, more posh hotels & restaurants, narrower beaches with usually quieter seas, sometimes eroded, East coast- is totally wild & windswept, beaches wide but swimming is not advised as the seas are rough with currents.
BDS is safer than most islands but usual care should be practised like anywhere else, no obvious displays of wealth or putting yourself in a position that could lead to problems. Amaryills always looks nice, quieter position than some.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:56 pm 

Thank you, I am really looking forward to it now, not long to go! It's the first time I've ever been away at Christmas, children growing up etc etc and the last few years I've been caring for my dad, who sadly died earlier this year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 am 

You also might enjoy a catamaran trip to swim with the turtles, it is great fun!! We have done Cool Runnings twice, and very much enjoyed it, great lunch, and alcohol flowed quite freely. The staff are great and very helpful. Whatever you choose to do, have a great trip!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:52 am 

Hi Caroline,

I think others have mentioned the main activities etc but I'll add my two-penneth worth!

Since you are there for one week and staying at Amaryllis then I'd suggest that the "high end" restaurants worth a visit would be Champers and/or Wispers on the Bay, which are both fairly close to the hotel. Also Tapas and Black Pearl, mid range prices, are good choices. There are lots of restaurants in The Gap to suit all budgets and tastes.

You will be close to (in?) the Garrison Historic area so if there is horse racing on then that makes a fun trip - not expensive unless you want to bet mega-dollars! I'd recommend a catamaran trip too and definitely hire a car or take a trip round the island to see the other coasts - Bathsheba, North Point etc.

I hope you enjoy your holiday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:24 am 

I would agree that you musn't miss out on a catamaran trip. You will sail along the west coast, swim with the turtles, snorkel over the wrecks, and you will have a fantastic time! May be a good idea to pre-book this before you go as the island will be very busy.
A visit to Bathsheba on the east coast and St. Nicholas Abbey up North would be high on my list too.
Oh and don't forget to go to Oistins on Friday night!
Have a great trip .... when do you go?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:26 pm 

We arrive on Christmas Eve and leave early evening on New Years' Day. All your suggestions sound wonderful - will things be open for all of the week? I am expecting places to be be closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, but what about the rest of the week?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:14 pm 

I have never been in Barbados over Christmas and New Year but, from what I can gather, Christmas Day is very much a family affair as you'd expect but I think that you will find many places open from Boxing Day onwards. It is very much peak season there and I'm sure people will want to maximise trade. If I am wrong about this I know that somebody will correct me! You could email ahead and make restaurant reservations if you wanted anywhere specific.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:40 pm 

We always went over Xmas, & yes nothing much going on Xmas day. Bajans lit up their houses long before it caught on here, except they had more taste in BDS! I would also say that reservations are likely to be neccesary for the more popular restaurants, to be honest we used to book up about July!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:21 pm 

I asked this same question on Trip Advisor about things being open. I was told that the shops are all open again after Boxing Day.
If you are looking to eat out rather than at the hotel it would be a good plan to book a few of the popular restaurants in advance before you leave.
Also I am told that hire cars can be in short supply over that period too so may be a good idea to look into that if indeed you want to hire one. Stoutes and MAH car rentals are good ones.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:28 pm 

It is the very peak of high season, don't know about now but we often had to book the next holiday as soon as we came back & I'm sure that we even booked once before we even left for the current one! Couldn't get in any ''good restaurant'' without booking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:13 pm 

I'd second the motions on both Champers and Tapas, we also had a great time at Oistens on Friday night ! You'll love it ! Have a great trip !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:24 pm 

Take a stroll on the south coast boardwalk and grab a lunch at Tapas up near the Rockley end of the walk. Be sure to take a bottle of water along with you. Also support the dinner at Champers...ask for a railside table if possible and St Nicholas Abbey is a favorite of ours...phone ahead to ask which days they will be cutting and processing the cane for the rum operations and don't miss the film presentation there for a glimpse of history.