Barbados TravelAdvisor

Nothing but the facts on Barbados Travel
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Welcome
Welcome to Barbados TravelAdvisor!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, !

Post subject: Cin Cin Restaurant
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:32 am 

I just read (in a Facebook post from Barbados Property List) that this new restaurant has opened. Their website is not totally functioning yet (http://www.cincinbarbados.com/index.html) so I was wondering if anyone has any details. Also, where exactly is it? Is this the spot that used to be Calabaza?

Post subject: Re: Cin Cin Restaurant
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:51 pm 

Yes it is on the site of Calabaza . I believe it has only recently opened-----------it looks like a big silver wall from the road, very odd. However it is run by Larry and Michelle of the original Olives, the wonderful La Terra previously at Baku and for the last few years Piscies on the South Coast, which I believe he still runs.

Larry is a good chef ( he originated at the SandpiperHotel many years ago ) , and it will be worth a visit in my view. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:51 am 

Went there yesterday!! Home now sadly

First week apparently - Paint still wet on doors to loo.

Nice modern mimimalist design. Choice of outside (mostly rail) dining, or inside air conditioned

We turned up without a reservation. It was the only restaurant we went to on the west coast that week which was busy.

Staff are young and make an effort to please. One introduced himself to us as our wine somellier! I looked for tortollogini on the pasta menu but could't find it!!

I had the boullebaise which was unfortunately very poor - 2 nice prawns, a piece of square fish and some burnt toast - No sign of the advertised lobster tail. Nouvelle cuisine style so very small portions. Mrs E had scallops. Nicely presented, but my advice would be - if you are hungry, have something to eat before you go!

The saving grace was the pud, which we don't normally have, but were starving at that stage. I had Cin Cin Sundae which had baked pineapple, banana, chocolate, chou chou nuts, icecream - it was brilliant. Mrs E had the chocolate brownie which was also excellent.

Prices were similar to the other West Coast Restaurants, although the Cin Cin Sundae was a bit of a bargain at 21 $ BDS

Overall we enjoyed the visit, but there are a lot of competitors more centrally situated.

I hope they survive until the high season kicks in.

E.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:15 pm 

Highscores: 2
Erronay, what a shame about your meal, looks like have a meal somewhere else then go there for the dessert :roll: :P

Hope you had a great time besides this little blip.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:36 pm 

What a shame ! Larry's cooking used to be wonderful when he was at La Terra, but I never liked Olives, and thought Piscies was very average. He was very, very ill a few years ago so maybe he's lost his edge. ------------Sad :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:59 am 

Oh dear, I feel a bit guilty now. The overall experience was good. It has good ambience. A lot of effort had clearly gone into the place. I am sure it is worth a visit to try yourself. Just be prepared for rather average nouvelle cuisine.

Thanks Brett, the whole holiday was great as always, we did all the stuff we usually do. We will try to organise our year to go earlier next year though. It is just a bit more rainy, just a bit more humid, just a few more bugs! than February through April.

E.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:30 pm 

It is disappointing when you get really small portions isn't it, even worse when they are not that exciting (apart from dessert in your case Erronay).
I used to love going there when it was called Koko's, the restaurant is in a nice position overlooking the sea. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:09 pm 

I am sure that Larry and Michelle will get everything back on track and serve some wonderful food.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:33 am 

I just had a look at the website and the dinner menu sounds really nice! :)
Will be interesting to see the photos when they put them on.
Always good to try somewhere new :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:11 pm 

I look forward to trying this one, I thought the menu looked nice too Lesley. I used to love Calabaza, it is a gorgeous setting over the beach. Will be interested to see how the interior looks now. Hope in the tradition of Calabaza they make a good mojito lol!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:30 pm 

Oh how I wanted to love it. Calabaza held a wonderful place in my heart as that is where my husband proposed (under a lunar eclipse i might add) :D and we always enjoyed our meal there. We were excited to go back and see what Larry was up to. :( Not at all what we expected. I think if we go back we will go for wine and dessert and leave the apps and mains to others. Maybe in time it will improve. I do love the location....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:54 pm 

Oh dear that is a shame Redcookie, especially with all your good memories of Calabaza. I will go anyway for a nosy on our next trip but not have high expectations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:59 am 

I also loved Calabaza so I will give this I try anyway.
They used to have the most beautiful wall mirror at Calabaza that I always wanted to put in my pocket! :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:09 am 

From Planet Barbados on Facebook

"This is CinCin, new restaurant on the west coast of Barbados, owned by Larry Rogers of Pisces (in the St Lawrence Gap) fame. Pisces is one of the finest restaurants in Barbados and I bet CinCin is just as wonderful. I can't wait to try it! Jane"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:31 am 

Annie ( of Angry Annie's ) has just been and announced it to be the best restaurant on the Island and stunningly beautiful. I shall be going in the near future hopefully, so I will report .